I kept Panda in for the day since we’re getting some wet weather. Had some thunderstorms with pea sized hail and thunder this morning and then some ice is coming in this afternoon changing to snow some time tonight. So instead of mess with the mud and the chance of Panda laying down and having a foal outside…I decided to keep her in for the day. Of course she may just wait another couple weeks and all my worry will be in vain.
I went back through my recordings for the past couple of days and she did lay down on the 23rd around 4:30am for about an hour but she has not laid down since. She was resting and not laboring at all. I saw her roll a few times and then it was back to business as usual…eating, pooping…
I also have been having to stream my camera using MPEG-4 format. Today I switched it so WMV3 codec so we’ll see if more people are able to view it like that. I was told I could stream using a Flash player but for some reason my little barn computer won’t let me do that…the connection keeps going down each time I try. If I were able to do that then even these Smart phones would be able to stream my webcam. As of right now the Android phones can’t stream since they are not Windows compatible or have a plug in for it.
And on top of that my internet has been going down whenever it feels like it. I think it has to do with the weather…so don’t be surprised if it doesn’t work from time to time if Kansas is getting any weather.
I put her Simple Boots back on her so she is a little more comfortable walking now. I saw a lot of foal movement when I was checking on her earlier. Active little bugger.
So we just wait… I am beginning to think maybe Seneca might foal before Panda…I hope not! Seneca is progressing nicely and is on track to foal at the end of March. Her udder is filling up but the teats are still fairly small.
Oh and an update on my client’s mare who had the foal this past Monday. I went to see her yesterday because the wife, Claudia, called me and said that the foal was not getting up to nurse and she was very weak. I had to see for myself and she was right. The foal was not very responsive and her capillary refill on her gums was very slow and the skin color was very pale. I told her that I doubt that the baby got enough colostrum and that they needed to call the vet. She did right away and they ended up taking the mare and foal to the clinic. The vet did a plasma transfusion and now the filly is doing a little better. Claudia said that her stomach has filled out and she doesn’t look so weak. The vet said that the foal looked a bit premature which I agreed. Her hooves look underdeveloped as well as the cartiledge in her ears. I was very concerned when I saw her and knew she was critical. She will be in the vet’s care until possibly Saturday. Hopefully she gets stronger and is able to come home soon. She’s a cutie!